The country’s newest university, the Fiji National University (FNU), officially resumed operations on 1st January 2010. The University is an amalgamation of 6 former state institutions. These were: Fiji School of Medicine. Fiji Institute of Technology, Fiji College of Advanced Education, Fiji College of Agriculture, Fiji School of Nursing and Lautoka Teachers College.
The FNU is comprised of 5 colleges. These are:
- College of Engineering, Science & Technology
- College of Agriculture, Fisheries & Forestry
- College of Medicine, Nursing & Health Sciences
- College of Humanities & Education
- College of Business, Hospitality & Tourism Studies
The University is headed by Dr Ganesh Chand, who was appointed Vice-Chancellor by the University’s Transitory Council in December 2009. Dr Chand is a senior academic and has extensive experience in the higher education sector.
The University has also recently appointed five deans who are to head its five colleges.
For more information on the FNU, visit the university’s website on www.fnu.ac.fj.